Spray Swirl Dyeing
Get a custom abstract dyeing result using a squeeze or spray bottle. Get creative and use the colours that speak to you. This is a great way to use up extra dye and is a family friendly DIY project.
- Tintex colours of choice
- Cotton fabric
- Plastic cover to protect workspace
- Rubber gloves
- Funnel (optional)
- Measuring cup
- Container to mix dye (optional)
- Kettle or microwave (if using a microwave, only use plastic or glass)
- Plastic spray or squeeze bottle
- Paper towel or scrap fabric (optional for testing dye colour)
- Start with clean washed fabric (avoid fabric softener) and leave damp.
- Protect work area and wear rubber gloves (when mixing fabric dye).
- Heat water with a kettle or microwave in a glass (or plastic container).
- Mix the fabric dye with hot water; dye must complete dissolve for best results (you can use your measuring spoon to mix).
- Add dyeing solution to a plastic spray bottle; use a funnel or pour mixture to carefully to avoid spillage; (alternately you can carefully mix the dye powder and water in a spray bottle)
- Spray or drizzle dye solution on fabric in abstract designs.
- After you have finished, rinse dye in water runs clear.
- Wash and dry as usual, if you are concerned about colour bleeding wash and dry with similar coloured fabric.