Transform cotton cord like a creative dyer did who designs nautical items with rope. Dye the cord orange; after you can add felt accents to make a Jack-O-lantern look. To make a pumpkin: you can swirl the cord to make a circle (or weave into more complex shapes).
- Cotton cord
- Tangerine Orange Tintex
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- Ruller or measuring tape
- Rubber or plastic gloves
- Plastic (cover work area)
- Optional: scissors
- Optional: felt face shapes (black, yellow or green)
- Optional: glue & glue gun
- Determine the length of rope need and add a little extra to account for shrinkage.
- Start with clean wet rope that has been soaked in water for up to 20 minutes.
- Place boiling water to sink, add Tintex solution and stir until dye is completely dissolved; cotton rope is only added when dye solution mixed -- make sure rope is totally covered with dyeing solution.
- For up to 20 minutes, flip rope around with a spoon. If needed add weight to help keep rope at the bottom of the sink; submerge each side for 10 minutes.
- When rope is desired colour, remove from dye bath and rinse entire length through cold water (do not wring).
- Hang to dry over a protected area. Workspace can be protected with plastic (or place a bucket undergo catch drips). Dry for 24 hours depending on the temperature.
- After dyeing you can wave or swirl dyed cord into chosen shape. You can add felt accents to create a Jack-O-Lantern look perfect for Halloween decor.
Prepare dyeing solution and after solution is dissolved place rope in dye bath
Rinse rope and hand to dry over a protected work area.
Use the dyed rope for Halloween craft accents.
Colour Splash Blog Related Posts
Ice-Dyed Wool Coat
We love this beautiful wool coat that was hand dyed in a ...
Easy Halloween Queen of Hearts Costume
There are so many options for Halloween each year, but re...