Mother's Day Dyed Paper Card Project
When was the last time that you made your mom (or mother figure) a card for Mother's Day? We bet that she would appreciate a ~real card~ in the age of e-cards. There is a movement to unplug from our busy lives to appreciate the simpler things in life with: raw or whole foods, up-cycling, holistic medicine and crafts that you made at home. A custom paper Mother’s Day card that you created is the perfect way to surprise her on Sunday.
She will thank you for creating something special, but these cards take almost no effort at all. They also use the dye that you already have in an unexpected and creative way. Even better is that there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to create them.
Dyed Paper Note Cards & Envelopes
Rubbing Alcohol Ink: Mother’s Day Cards & Envelopes
This fun fabric dye craft is suitable for beginners. You probably have all the materials available in your home. In 15 minutes or less you can create custom designed Mother’s Day cards, beautiful scrapbook paper or gift tags using your favorite colour of Tintex.
- Tintex Fabric Dye
- Rubbing Alcohol
- White (or light coloured) paper cards, gift tags or scrapbook paper
- Mixing container (glass, stainless steel, plastic etc.)
- Measuring spoon & measuring cup
- Plastic cover for work surface
- Rubber gloves
- Cotton swab or Q-Tip
- Paper towels (optional)
- Paint Brush (optional)
- Hairdryer (optional)
- Protect work area with plastic and wear gloves to avoid staining hands.
- Mix 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol with 1 tablespoon of Tintex Fabric Dye. Create a custom shade by mixing different amounts of 2-3 colours together. Brighter or darker colours will use more dye; pastels will use less dye. Get creative and experiment with different intensities.
- After the powder is dissolved pour the solution into a small bowl
- Test ink on a scrap of paper towel. After you are satisfied with the colour use a Q-Tip cotton swab (or try a brush, sponge or gloved finger/thumb) to create designs on your paper.
- Lay paper flat and air-dry (or use a hair dryer on the cool setting to speed up the drying process).
- Clean up work area with soap and water or bleach if needed.
- After paper is dry, add a personal message to your mom.
Tintex is not a food grade product; do not use the same dyeing container for cooking food or drinking water.