Alcohol Ink Paper Craft
Fabric dye may be used like watercolours to create a beautiful card or envelope that will be appreciated by someone special on any occasion. This fun fabric dye craft is suitable for beginners; all the materials are probably already in your home.
Tintex Fabric Dye
- Tintex Fabric Dye of choice
- Rubbing alcohol
- White (or light coloured) paper cards, gift tags or scrapbook paper
- Mixing container (glass, stainless steel, plastic etc.)
- Measuring spoon & measuring cup
- Plastic cover for work surface
- Rubber gloves
- Cotton swab or Q-Tip
- Paper towels (optional)
- Paint Brush (optional)
- Hairdryer (optional)
- Protect work area with plastic and wear gloves to avoid staining hands.
- Mix 1/4 cup rubbing alcohol with 1 tablespoon of Tintex Fabric Dye. Create a custom shade by mixing different amounts of 2-3 colours together. Brighter or darker colours will use more dye; pastels will use less dye. Get creative and experiment with different intensities.
- After the powder is dissolved pour the solution into a small bowl
- Test ink on a scrap of paper towel. After you are satisfied with the colour use a Q-Tip cotton swab (or try a brush, sponge or gloved finger/thumb) to create designs on your paper.
- Lay paper flat and air-dry (or use a hair dryer on the cool setting to speed up the drying process).
- Clean up work area with soap and water or bleach if needed.
- After paper is dry, add a personal message to your mom.
- Tintex is not a food grade product; do not use the same dyeing container for cooking food or drinking water.