Valentine's Day Craft: Dyed Paper Flower Garland
Red is vibrant and is associated with passion, energy and power. We are celebrating Valentine's Day with series of DIY's that use Scarlet Red fabric dye. We love how versatile paper flowers are.
For today’s DIY dyed paper craft, we used a standard white paper garland from a craft store and used red fabric dye to jazz it up. The flowers can be used to make a bold statement for Valentine's day, Chinese new year, wedding or shower decorations. You can also display them in a glass bowl anytime.
DIY Dyed Paper Flower Garland Valentine Craft
This fun fabric dye craft is suitable for beginners. In minutes you can match the dye to any colour theme at the drop of a hat. See how white or light paper decorations change into something much more colourful. Of course you can use any colour of dye that appeals to you. This is a great Valentine's day craft but you can easily switch up the colours for different seasonal holidays, events or parties.
- Tintex Fabric Dye
- Paper garland
- Hot water
- Kettle or microwave
- Mixing container (glass, stainless steel, plastic etc.)
- Measuring spoon
- Measuring cup
- Paper towels
- Plastic cover for work surface
- Rubber or plastic gloves
- Spray bottle (optional)
- Funnel (optional)
- Paint brush (optional)
DIY Dyed Paper Flower Garland Project Instructions:
- Protect work area with plastic and wear gloves to avoid staining hands.
- Boil water in a kettle and set aside for 15 minutes or until water has cooled slightly. Water can also be heated up in a microwave for 1-2 minutes in a microwave safe container.
- Mix 1 cup hot water with 1-2 tablespoons of Tintex Fabric Dye. Create a custom shade by mixing different amounts of 2-3 colours together. Brighter or darker colours will use more dye; pastels will use less dye. Get creative and experiment with different intensities.
- Test dye colour on a piece of paper towel.
Dye the paper using your desired technique either dipping or spraying:
- Dip the crepe paper into dye bath for a minute (or more depending on the desired colour intensity and type of paper used).
- Spray bottle: open the flower garland so it is completely assembled . Pour the dyeing solution into a spray bottle when it has cooled enough to do so. Attach spray top and spray dyeing solution all over the opened flower garland.
- Air dry dyed paper flowers on plastic (or use a hairdryer on the cool setting over the plastic covered workspace to speed up the drying process).
- Clean up work area with soap and water or bleach if needed.
Tintex is not a food grade product; do not use the same dyeing container for cooking food or drinking water.