Hot Water Dye Tips
0 Comments Tell us how you dye with #TintexDye
Tintex is a hot water direct fabric dye. Our dye is designed to work on most washable fabrics (not for 100% polyester or 100% acrylic). All-purpose fabric dyes provide bright colours, but the wash-fastness may differ from other dye types.
Tips for Successful Dyeing Projects
- Tintex works best on clean and damp fabric with the powder dissolved in very hot water (use a kettle or microwave to heat the water). Hot tap water is not ideal.
- The hand dyeing, stovetop method is the preferred technique for bright and deep colours.
- Use double the usual amount of dye for the dry fabric weight to get more vibrant colours.
- Active dyeing times may vary from 20 or 30 minutes to an hour depending on desired results and the fabric used. You can optionally wrap your tie dye project in plastic wrap overnight if desired.
- For best results, it is beneficial to wash freshly dyed items alone or with similar colours. You can also hang to dry after dyeing and optionally use an iron.